Sunday, August 31, 2008

Long Sessions

I play too many long sessions.

And by long sessions, I don't mean 10-12 hour ones or sessions where you get tired and exhausted and delirious and then leave. I mean sessions where you get tired and exhausted and delirious and THEN play 10-12 hours more. I mean sessions where you play a significant amount of time with someone, they leave for the day, you're STILL playing when they come back, and you play another “session” with them. I mean sessions where you close your eyes for a moment after folding a hand and then it's suddenly the next hand with the action on you and the guy next to you just poked you awake. I mean sessions where you don't just lose track of what time it is, you lose track of what day it is. I mean sessions where you promised yourself that you were going to leave before the next big blind... but that was 8 hours ago. I mean sessions where finally getting unstuck is all that matters to you because ending a session this long back to even would be exhilarating. I mean sessions where you're in a great game, but you're terrified of losing back your profit because ending a session this long back to even would be devastating.

I play too many long sessions.

2 comments:

DeWitt said...

I've had a few sessions where I planned on leaving but stay until the game breaks at 4-5am and have to work the next day! I love playing cards and I'm trying to balance it with work right now.

In 2007 I started playing cash games more often and I think I should play even more but something makes me scared I guess. Maybe I'm scared of getting in trouble with it or getting hooked? Hmmm. I guess I just want to keep gradually moving up.

Liz Holz said...

Rob why do you stay so late? Now that you are a professional you can go out anytime and might make more profits if you time your sessions accordingly.

They will always be another game tomorrow :)