Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Perfect Session

I just had what I'd like to think of as a perfect session of $20/$40 LHE yesterday.

I came in and there was an end seat waiting for me right away. Good start! There were 2 unknowns to my direct right and everyone to my left were predictable players. I fold a few hands, win a decent pot with KK, and chop a pot with J8 after my two pair gets counterfeited.

Then, the guy to my right leaves. I look for who the replacement will be and it's a tight predictable player so I quickly move my chips to the right and let him in to my left. I proceed to fold a bunch of hands and then 3-bet KQo on the button after an aggro EP2 raise and the CO calls. The BB is a player who "never cold calls 3" so he caps and we all call. Flop is 974 with two hearts. Checked to me so I naturally bet. All call. Turn is the 2h. Checked to me and I bet without looking back at my hand (I'm hoping there's a heart there). Only the BB calls my bet. River is the 6h. BB checks and I bet. He pauses for a long time and folds. I look back at my hand and find the Kh and am upset.

Then, the guy to my left leaves for the main game. I spot the aggro guy that is replacing him and quickly slide my stack left. A round or so later, a tight EP raise gets 4 callers. I squeeze out the Th4h and decide to make a (somewhat?) loose call in the BB. Flop is KT4 with two diamonds. SB checks, I check, EP bets and gets 3 callers. SB raises and I instantly 3-bet. Amazingly, the 4 other players all fold leaving me with position on the SB. The turn and river are blanks and he calls me down with KQ.

So just like that I have amassed around a $850 profit in a half an hour with relatively no effort at all. Then, as if the poker gods are testing me, I go on an hour and a half run of the worst cards ever. I basically fold away $180 in blinds. I decide to finally play a hand and raise the Jh9h in LP. One cold caller behind and the SB three-bets (uh oh). We both call. Flop is AQ2r. SB instachecks which basically means KK. I decide not to try and steal it and we check the whole way down on a 2 turn and Q river and he wins. Maybe a missed opportunity but more likely a missed chance to spew off $100. Later, an EP2 limps, I raise KK in MP, folds to him, he calls. Flop A23 rainbow. He check/calls. Turn 3, check check. river 7. He bets and I instacall and lose to his 45s. No big deal.

So after happily folding another two rounds of hands, I leave at my BB up $500 in two hours and completely unstressed. If only all of my sessions could go like this.

No comments: