Friday, September 12, 2008

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

So I just stepped both feet out of my office building after handing off my badge. I took a few deep breaths of the fresh air and walked out to my car; now I'm officially a professional poker player.

It was quite a hectic day approaching this moment. When I came into the office this morning, I expected to clean up my last few things, have a long lunch with some work friends, and then have my exit interview and be on my way. But, as fate would have it, there was an issue with something that I would be most familiar with. It felt good to get something important done even in my last hours on the clock.

After that was resolved, I cleaned out my computer and headed over to my exit interview. I made my way though the maze of hallways to arrive at the interviewer's office only to find that no one was there! Did I have the time wrong? No. The room number? No. What's going on here?!? I learned from the interviewer's office neighbor that she was apparently out of office today. What the heck? I guess they really don't want me to leave! What an ingenious loop hole: if the exit interviewer is always oof, the I can never actually leave the company, right? I have to say, of all things I had considered as possible occurrences today, having the exit interviewer be oof was not one of them.

Turns out she was at a Day of Caring event helping clean up a school so I guess I can let it slide this time. I had the interview rescheduled for later in the day and that is what I have just left as I breath in this wonderful fresh air. It smells like freedom, like endless possibilities. I feel like going on a long walk today and just taking everything in.

Let my new life begin!

3 comments:

dooug said...

way to go! take the risks, live life. and best of luck to you

-doug (not bill)

jlevine said...

GOOD LUCK ROB et. al. - this is a perfect time in your life to go do this. stay within yourself, be aware of your mental state and kick some ass.

Steve said...

I'm looking forward to reading about the start of a professional poker career. Reading about the good days and the bad days should be quite interesting. Good luck, I hope to see all three of you on TV.